How to clean grout in the shower
Cleaning grout in tiles in the shower can be a bit more challenging due to the buildup of soap scum, mildew, and hard water stains. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you clean grout effectively:
- Gather the necessary supplies: You will need a few items to clean the grout in your shower:
- Grout cleaner – we would recommend our No.1 Cleaner. Specifically designed for removing soap scum and mildew, this porcelain and ceramic cleaner is the perfect starting point.
- A small grout brush.
- Spray bottle.
- Clean cloth or sponge.
- Protective gloves (optional).
- Apply the cleaner – watch here for how to get the best out of your tiles.
- Scrub the grout: Use the grout brush to scrub the grout lines vigorously. Focus on the stained areas and use a circular or back-and-forth motion. Apply more pressure to stubborn stains, but be gentle to avoid damaging the tiles.
- Let it sit: Allow the cleaning solution to sit on the grout for a few minutes. This gives the cleaning agent time to penetrate and break down the dirt, grime, and stains.
- Agitate to break the bond between the grout and the dirt with The Tile Master Grout Brush. Whilst doing this we recommend you keep spraying the grout joints you are scrubbing.
- Rinse the grout: Use clean water and a cloth or sponge to rinse away the cleaning solution or baking soda residue. Rinse thoroughly, ensuring all traces of the cleaner are removed.
- Dry and inspect: Use a clean cloth or towel to dry the grout lines and surrounding tiles. Inspect the grout to see if any stains or discoloration remain. If necessary, repeat the cleaning process on stubborn areas.
- Allow the surface to dry and enjoy your clean, dirt free shower area.
- Prevent future buildup: To minimize grout stains and keep your shower clean, regularly spray a mixture of water and vinegar onto the grout after showering. This helps prevent the buildup of soap scum and mildew.
More about our No.1 Grout Cleaner…
What will it clean?
- Cleaner Number 1 is ideal to clean and remove built up dirt & grease on all your ceramic & porcelain tiles around your home
- Deep cleans both the tile and grout
- Perfect for Ceramic, Porcelain, Vinyl & LVT
Warning: Not intended for wood or natural stone floors (always pre-test a small area)
Where to use
- Perfect for use in Kitchens, Hallways, bathrooms or anywhere you have dirty tiles and grout around your home.
- Suitable for most surfaces
- Contains no acids, alkalies or bleaches
- Built in de-greaser
- Cleans without damaging the surface
- When highly diluted (1:200) it dry’s streak free so does not require rinsing
- Highly concentrated
- Can be used with a floor cleaning machine
Over time your grout can become very discoloured and dirty, leaving your floors and walls looking very unsightly. Even if your grout was sealed during installation dirt and residue can still build up on the grout. Sealed grout will clean easier than unsealed grout.
One area where grout often becomes very unsightly is in bathrooms and especially around and in the shower area. One of the major problems is that shampoos, hair dyes and skin molecules, which exfoliate during washing in the shower, all stick to your grout and discolour it as per the picture below.
One problem when trying to clean your grout is not causing damage to any of the features around the shower area. Stainless steel taps, natural stone Borders, porcelain bath-ware and shower trays may all be damaged during cleaning if incorrect chemicals are used. To clean grout in your bathroom and shower area, The Tile Master have created Cleaner Number 1. This is a unique blend of natural cleaning solutions which effectively removes all the dirt and residue build up, but is safe and gentle on all surfaces. Being a PH Nautral Cleaner, it effectively cleans and removes body fats and scale build up. Once the process is complete the grout will be cleaned and at a like new state. As per the picture Below.